01 February 2016

February Status Update

My specific goals for last month were to get sound and music into the game, continue to build out the UI, and let heroes journey to the Otherworld (King of Dragon Pass’s heroquests). The ongoing goals are to get more scenes into the game, and make sure all of this is bug-free.

Although I did investigate music, the engine is not yet fully integrated. Hopefully next month.

One missing part of the UI was the dialog for embarking to the Otherworld, and that’s now in, as is the ability to display (and thus play) the scenes. And two of the journeys are in.

I’m not trying to polish the UI yet, but I did improve the Saga screen, and allow it to be shown from an interactive scene. The Game Over screen is improved. And there’s now help for management screens.

At the beginning of the year, there were 249 scenes coded and 188 fully tested. As of today, there are 260 coded and 217 fully tested.

On the QA front, last month there were 163 new cases opened, 138 of them resolved, and 110 of those verified as fixed. Many of the remaining cases are UI polish, which I’m deferring for now. Many of the bugs were simply typos, but there were also some more major issues with some of the branching story lines, which took a little longer both to find and fix.

To help QA, I decided to implement multiple saved games, along with the dialog to choose among them. And I’ve made some improvements to the format of saved games, to make it easier to add stuff to the game without breaking older saves.

One tangible sign of progress: Liana was able to play a complete game, to the earliest point where the story results in losing.

9 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! I cant wait for the releasd of this game. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. It's good to see the development steadily advancing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been lurking here for a while now. I want to play this game! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for this! Well, I can, but still looking forward to it! Best of luck with the development process, will be following this closely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for keeping us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting ideas. I wonder what the save game system will do to the experience. I've always found it a big plus that KoDP didn't have a save game system. It made every decision count (of course you could rewind whole years, but the threshold to do so was higher). To much "rewinding" deminishes the sense of involvement. This was kind of a weak spot in the Sorcery games, in my humble opinion.

    I was also rather curious if Six Ages would tackle KoDP's only weak spot, that is the fact that the endgame always involved the same events. I really hope dat Six Ages has a wider variety in conclusions.

    Anyway, just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple saves ≠ a save game system…

      We did indeed discuss that weak spot, and I think Robin came up with a pretty good solution that should still give you a satisfying story.

      Delete
  7. Sweet! Looking forward to it! Will it be set in Dragon Pass? Or farther north?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also checking in every once in a while. Great to see you guys are still working on this.

    ReplyDelete